Two Headed Monster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bamboo and Edelweiss

2 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Bamboo and Edelweiss Empty Bamboo and Edelweiss

Post by Sanhadrin Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:25 am

( Woot! This one was easier to unravel. Still trying to dig out their initial meeting, but this is where we had left them, with fairly straightforward backstory. Smile )

As they reached the beginning of the path he let go of Edelweiss ' hand, reaching into the basket to find a bun of his own. It was easier to focus on other things than the seer just then. n” Sometimes people care about other people, Edelweiss. So they want to make them happy. I... guess that 's not in your experiences so far?” he asked quietly, bending to pick up a pebble. “ I am a bit of a magpie, I suppose. It... wasn 't that I wanted spiritual power.” he smiled, trying to frame his thoughts. “ Sometimes objects call to me. I make... art with some, I suppose. Not very good, but soothing. And for the rest...” he shook his head.

” I have a Talisman my mother made for me, a ring that was my father 's and... a stuffy. His name is Mr. Pickles.” he said simply, biting into the bun. “ Sometimes I like to remember where I come from. It helps remind me that where I am going isn 't yet written.” he met his eyes, then gestured around. “ So,the path. See? Just over there, you can glimpse the sea. Its a bit of a walk.”

Relinquishing his hand Edelweiss dawdled. The morning air was cool and as a breeze kicked up it only increased how naked his palm suddenly felt forcing him to cross his arms, hiding his hands under and against each arm. nBamboo’s words struck a nerve. Just to make someone happy didn’t seem like something that happened to him. Don’t all things come with a price?

“Uhm… well…No...” Color rose to his cheeks, a strong reminder that he has been holing himself from relations to people for an awkwardly long stretch of time and the knowledge he lacked from his absence of social relations was something he was embarrassed to have to learn as well. Edelweiss felt small at that moment and shifted his weight from foot to foot, tightening the grip on his arm. He watched Bamboo pick up a small rock. Is that what he used to make art? “Such a frivolous activity.” Edelweiss commented, sulking about another thing he had never committed himself to try. Still pouting, he couldn’t bring himself to pry further. If Bamboo had said enough then Edelweiss felt he’d have to wait to find out more.

“I’m glad you at least understand the basics of what everyone likes to call ‘fate,’ nothing is ever written…” Mumbling, his eyes followed where Bamboo pointed. He had to move his head just next to Bamboo’s arm to see straight ahead, through the bushes and… the beach… the sea. It was always this close but Edelweiss hadn’t been here in a very long time. His expression softened, his guard let down in that moment as he caught a glimpse of the water. If someone looked close enough they could almost see the hint of a smile at the corners of his lips. Another breezed pushed at his hair, a hand jumping up to flatten out his bangs again, setting his usual expression back in place. He glanced at Bamboo, his hand still holding down his hair, “Walking’s fine. You do this every day don’t you?” the sharp tones of his voice made his inquiry sound more like a challenge than a question.

” I hope to change that then. I like you. “ he said simply and pocketed the stone and a small couple of others as their made their way down the path. The little cove wasn 't far, but thanks to the bends on the road and the rocky outcrops it was a private place away from prying eyes, especially this early in the morning. “ Frivolous?” he looked at him with a small pang, then simply nodded. “ Yes, I suppose it can be seen as such. But I can 't help it any more than you can help your visions. I yearn to create. To bring to life something within me, and give it shape. I could no more stop doing art than I could stop breathing, I guess.” he smiled, and leaned down to take off his sandals as they got to the sand.

” Fate. Fate is such a charged word, and I wonder at how differently we might see it, you and I. I would not want your talents, Edelweiss. I like the surprises that lay ahead, good and bad. And besides, I have always imagined you see possible futures... things that might come to pass. But every day we make so many choices - some small, and some significant. Wouldn 't each of them affect the outcome? So its like looking up at a tree with knowledge of some of the branches and trying to guess what the leaves will look like.” his expression darkened a little. “ If I believed in fate I would not be here in the temple. I would not have come into her service, or met you. I have to believe my fate is of my own making - no wasted chances, and no regrets.”

He relaxed a little as his toes teased the sand, walking slower as they made their way closer to the palms near the water. ” Yes. Every day.” he smiled, caught. “ But I come before dawn, to greet the day. That way it doesn 't interfere with my duties later. I just... need that time, you know? That centering and quiet. Oh, I know that everyone things that I talk up a storm, and they 're right...! '“ he chuckled softly. “ Still, I need a little stillness in my life sometimes. So I come here.”

Change? Change him through experience, Edelweiss supposed. He cringed at being such a tough nut to crack. If he was to be Bamboo’s friend then things like this would have to change at least. He winced as Bamboo repeated what he said. “Perhaps frivolous was a little harsh.” He did make a mental pact with himself to be more of a friend, now he just had to get a better understanding of how they acted. “Especially if you put it that way, I suppose. It makes more sense… if it’s in that perspective…” although, Bamboo seemed to enjoy making these things rather than his body rejecting them if he over-did it. Edelweiss snorted, pushing the vulgar memory of last night out of his head and tried to replace it with visions of what it was like to create, as Boo put it.

Following the leader, Edelweiss removed his own sandals and took a tentative step into the sand, his toes sinking in between seashells. His tail immediately fanned out for balance. His feet submerging into the sand with each step and trying to keep up with Bamboo made it difficult to keep his concentration on the conversation at hand. He smirked, slightly out of breath, “It sounds to me like you have a pretty good idea of what fate means. Maybe you’ve had to be around me long enough for some of that nonsense to wear off, eh?” Edelweiss turned to look at Bamboo smugly before realizing the expression on Boo’s face had shifted. Edelweiss’ grin hastily fell not into a grimace but into confusion. He raised an apprehensive brow, “You make it sound like the most tranquil place on Calanthra is going to crumble the moment you step back inside its boundaries.” Edelweiss would’ve scoffed if not for the edge to Bamboo’s voice.

The rising sun cast the shadow’s of the palms so that they stretched to the edges of the beach rather than giving the two of them shade. Edelweiss followed the trunk of the tree cast on the sand until he stood next to Bamboo, catching his breath. “Sometimes… It’s before I get a chance to sleep when I see you leave.” Putting out a hand to catch himself on the trunk of the palm tree Edelweiss cocked his head questioningly, “It must be nice being able to escape somewhere where voices won’t talk back to you.” He took a deep breath, letting it fill his lungs, letting the quiet of the morning wash over him and letting his eyes slip close so that the breeze could rustle between his fins.

” Hm?” he looked at him, his expression relaxing further and leaving those thoughts behind. “ My parents are great believers in fate and Oracles, Edel. When I was younger they had...ah.. a reading done for me. Pretty much told that I would meet my doom by Water so...” he stretched out his arms, encompassing the sea and the horizon. “ For a long time they hid me away from anything that had to do with Her, or with water itself. As if we could escape it, in a world such as ours!” he shook his head, chuckling. “ Eventually I found Her. And what I wanted to do. And what I wanted to do wasn 't being shut away in a room faraway from life -- I wanted to be part of it. So.” he put down the basket and pulled out a large blanket that they could use to sit or put the food on. “ I came to the temple. My parents still think I 'm crazy.” he shook his head.

“ No disrespect to you our your abilities, my friend, but I will always make my own path and my own fate. Or at least give it a go.” nHe grinned, looking up at the palm tree. It would be good shade later, if they stuck around into late morning. n” It is nice. Though to be fair I have no voices, usually. Only our Mistress now and then, but more likely myself talking. I tend to talk a lot...” he coloured slightly before shrugging. He was as he was. “ But you know, if you go to sleep that late... maybe you should come out here with me more often. Spend a little time clearing your head from the day 's work before getting your rest.” He looked up again, thoughtful. “ I think I spot a coconut or two. How adventurous are you feeling?”

The skeptical expression on Edelweiss’ face faded slowly. He’d heard the spiel about parents being zealots of the several deities that scattered Calanthra. He’d been a part of that himself at one point, that’s the whole reason he was left to the care of Water and her followers. He opened his mouth to add his own story to Bamboo’s but he didn’t quite feel ready to share about aches and pains. Instead, he tried something else from his past that wasn’t quite as bad.

“They must’ve spoken with Asphodel. He trained me here at the temple, but ah…” Edelweiss moved his gaze to look out over the water that Bamboo’s reach encompassed, “He was much better at it than I am.” As much as Edelweiss didn’t want to give in to what the divinations would tell him there was always some truth in what Asphodel had seen. Always. Edelweiss stepped back so Bamboo could lay out the blanket he had conjured out of his basket.

“Crazy? They thought…that…” He frowned, “Well, maybe you are crazy, but I’ve garnered that for other reasons.” Edelweiss raised his shoulders before dropping them with a sigh, “Aren’t you at least scared? All of these signs say you’re putting yourself into direct danger and you don’t even know what you’re supposed to be looking for?” Edelweiss looked into Bamboo’s face. There was an expression of blithe naivety that usually annoyed Edelweiss, but right now it didn’t seem to bother him at all. In fact, he almost envied Boo. He didn’t even have to put up with estranged voices telling you what may or may not be whenever they damn well please.

Edelweiss’ brow was upturned by Bamboo’s offer, a slim smile cutting across his lips. “Why not. If I’m still awake, perhaps it will be fate we meet here again.” He turned both his own and Boo’s words around, not aware he could even make jokes. nThe serenity of the moment was shattered the moment Edelweiss looked up. He’d never climbed a tree in his life, let alone a palm tree. It seemed like menial work and he was about to completely cast aside even the thought of it when Bamboo’s words circled inside his head,

‘And what I wanted to do wasn 't being shut away in a room faraway from life -- I wanted to be part of it.’ Edelweiss defiantly decided to be more apart of his life rather than wallowing in other’s lives. His jaw set and his expression full of determination, “If you think you can do it, then so can I.”

” Other reasons! “ he laughed, abashed. “ Well, I suppose I do come across a little scatterbrained. Though appearances deceive, I support part of that judgment is fair. I lack focus, sometimes. “ he smiled, then nodded. “ Asphodel. My parents thought very highly of him. Something about prophesying their meeting I believe. “ Cocking his head he glanced back at Edelweiss, thoughtful. ” Our mistress asked me that too, once. And to answer it... well, I suppose I am. I lived my childhood in fear some nameless horror was awaiting me, so I still jump at shadows now and then. That being said - what is the point? If Doom is coming for me it would find a way, if its inevitable. So I 'd rather meet it in my own terms. And if in the meantime I get to be in her service, and I get to be near you... well, that 's not so bad, is it? No one 's fate is truly guaranteed, and I can 't live out my days in fear. Or rather I could, but I won 't.”

At the agreement he beamed, delighted. “ Well then, I hope that is a fate due to come true. I 'd like your company here very much. As for the climbing part.” he patted the rough bark of the tree. “ It will chafe, so have a care. I better redo my robe into something more appropriate...” he slid of the top of it, baring his chest the long strips of cloth he wrapped around his legs and lower body into the oddest looking formation. n” Fashion horror, but it will do.” he eyed the coconuts thoughtfully. “ How about you get on my shoulders and I push you up as far as I can? Then you can climb up the rest of the way and I 'll follow? That way I can cushion you if you fall.”

Twisting his mouth to the side, Edelweiss glanced away, mumbling under his breath, “a little he says…”

Crossing his arms he turned up his nose defiantly at being compared to Water. His haughty exterior slowly dissolved as Bamboo opened up about his childhood horrors hanging over him. Being chained down by something that hasn’t yet come to pass is something Edelweiss could relate to far better than the average calanthra. The grip on his arms loosened as his expression thawed.

“Maybe that’s why it’s so easy to be near me all the time if you can ignore prophecies so easily like that.” Just as quickly as his posture changed he crossed his arms tighter again. Not used to just blurting his thoughts out loud Edelweiss, instead, bit his lip. Most of the acolytes seemed to want to avoid him for either his personality or his information on the future that would scare most, but not Bamboo. Edelweiss felt a pang in his chest. He wasn’t sure what to call the spark, was it admiration? Maybe this is what it meant to have a friend after all? Edelweiss forced himself to stop thinking so intently on things he couldn’t grasp. He turned his eyes up the trunk of the tree and again into the boughs of the trees laden with heavy leaves and fruit. He blushed with Bamboo’s compliment still baffled as to why anyone would want to be in his company for this long. Stifling a laugh for the quick second he took to glance at Bamboo’s makeshift pants before quickly eyeing the bark again. He could do this, how hard could it be? He nodded at Bamboo’s offer, not knowing the first step in climbing trees anyway. He circled Bamboo, unsure how to climb on his shoulders either. He seemed to be worse than the tree dilemma. nAfter a complete loop Edelweiss stopped in front of Bamboo and put his knuckles to his chin, deep in thought. “You should bend down… or squat so I can climb on top.” Tilting his head, frowning Edelweiss thought it over again. Yes, this was the best way it seemed.

Overhearing he shrugged his shoulders lightly. There was certainly more to it than that, but that was as good a starting point as any. n” Maybe.” he smiled and focused his attention on the task at hand. “ Alright, that sounds like a plan. Remember that the bark is really rough, so you don 't want to get it on unprotected skin. I did that when I was younger aaaand... let 's just say chafed inner thighs are not particularly fun. So make sure when you are climbing up you focus the friction on parts covered by cloth.” he looked up at the tree and its tantalizing fruit. “ Here, I think the easiest way will be for me to brace myself against the tree a little...” he squatted and braced his hands against it carefully. n” Now climb on my shoulders and I 'll stand up slowly after I 'm fully straightened you can start climbing on your own. Sounds about right?”

Boo braced his weight against the tree as best he could it wasn 't that hard once he realized that Edelweiss was surprisingly light. He could feel his weight on him as the seer scrambled to get a proper position, readjusting it as he did so. Bamboo stood as still and steady as he could manage, letting his friend get used to the sensation of being perched in such a way. After he felt him still and heard his instruction he began to straighten slowly to give Edelweiss the chance to clamber further up onto his shoulders. Slowly he pushed up and nudged him slightly until he could feel his feet securely on his shoulders. n” Alright, I 'm standing up fully now. IT 'll push you up, so make sure your arms keep up... and don 't scrape them on the bark! See if the coconuts are within reach once we 're both fully stretched, but I suspect we 'll need to climb a bit. “

Edelweiss had to admit he didn’t expect to be pushed up so easily and quickly. It took a great deal of effort on his part just to keep up with Boo, and he had to admire his strength with all of the envy attached. Without any real time to ponder on what sort of envy this entailed he had to focus on climbing. He winced as his arm grazed a particularly jagged piece of bark. Far more used to pain than the physical activity, however, he was able to persevere without dwelling on the slight throbbing. Boo’s voice called out from under his feet with his warning at the same moment.

“A little late for that one, but..ah…” Edelweiss stretched out an arm, “Almost there…just a little bit more” He went on tip-toe, pushing down on Boo’s shoulders. Stepping off of the priest, he used his knees to shimmy up the tree slowly the last tail of the climb until his fingers grazed the hairy shell of a coconut. “I-I think I got it.” nManaging a one-handed maneuver he pulled down the fruit, tucking it under an arm before realizing without Boo directly under him, and only one arm to hold him to the tree he was completely and utterly stuck. Edelweiss swore loudly, trying to figure out the best way to get himself safely back on the sweet, sweet sand.

Success! Bamboo followed with such interest and care as his friend made his way to the fruit, grinning up as the seer caught his stride and grew more confident in the hunt. Soon the large nut was captured, and he grinned up. n” You can toss it on the soft sand if you want to try some of the water inside or, if not, against the rocks right over there. They might help us crack it open faster and get to the fleshy part. I suppose it depends on what you 'd prefer?” nAs for Boo, he was trying very, very hard not to look up. Edel had such a gorgeous tail, and the way it brushed up against his shoulders was just about driving him crazy.

Edelweiss raised his brows at Boo’s suggestion. He glanced at the coconut and shifted his gaze to the rocks and back to the hairy fruit in his arm. He blew a gust of air out of his nostrils in a huff. There was no way he was going to make the throw to the rocks but he tried anyway, lobbing it as hard as he could before scrambling to get both arms firmly wrapped back around the tree. The coconut landed in the sand a few yards away with a mockingly muffled thud. Snapping his tail away from Bamboo’s shoulders with such briskness he caused Boo’s inky braid to blow back over his shoulders. Edelweiss held his fins out at an angle so he could glare down, wide-eyed at Bamboo like he was putting all the blame on him for his weak arms. “Okay, now get me down.” He commanded with a severe frown. His legs were just about quivering with having to hold his weight in the tree. As he began to slip he could feel the tree cutting into his skin at the worst angles and he glanced back down at Bamboo, this time a look of worry was creeping over his expression. “Immediately would be best.”

He watched the trail of the coconut as it rolled over on the sand with a thud, then glanced up at the seer 's words. Was that an edge of panic? His eyes widened a little and bracing his legs he shot up both hands.
” Here, take my hands.” his frame trembled slightly under the effort, but he was stronger than he looked. “ Grab ahold and then kneel back on my shoulders, so I can help you down. I won 't let you fall.”

Edelweiss’ eyes darted from Boo’s outstretched hands to the sand, to the tree he was hugging and back to the sand that seemed so much farther away now that he’d made the ascent.

“Grab your hands?!” His voice rose in pitch. How was he supposed to accomplish something like that while he was in this position?! “You make it sound so easy,” he growled, losing his hold on the tree the longer he waited and by proxy also feeling ten times more ridiculous about getting stuck in a tiny tree. As a crimson, flustered blush painted his face, he leaned over to try and grab onto Boo’s fingers when his muscles finally gave out. Slipping on the rough bark, scraping his skin, and letting gravity take hold all in a short second. Edelweiss crushed his eyes shut, waiting for the pain and the ground to come rushing up when he connected with something much softer instead.

” Oof!” Bamboo was thankfully faster than he appeared, managing to catch Edelweiss in his arms as he fell. Water, he felt light. And he was blushing. And those delicious fins...he cleared his throat and tried to still the mad drumming in his chest, arms closing a little tighter instinctively. “ You can open your eyes, you know. I did promise I wouldn 't let you fall.” but neither was he terribly keen on releasing him just then. “ And we are victorious on our coconut search which is excellent. Want me to show you how to crack it open now? I can do it and we can enjoy it with some buns.” nHis stomach was definitely hungry now. It was doing the... weird butterfly thing, which would clearly indicate hunger and nothing else whatsoever. Nothing to do with the rise and fall of the other 's panicked chest, the feel of his frame in his arms.

Falling didn’t hurt as terribly as Edelweiss had initially anticipated. It was kind of warm, actually. Weird. Bamboo’s voice thrummed close to his ear. Far closer than he remembered him being a second ago making Edelweiss slowly squint through one eye, his ear fins fanning out tentatively. Turns out Bamboo had miraculously saved him from the fall making Edelweiss’ bewildered expression turn down in embarrassment. Another immediate response was to how his tail fins were being uncomfortably restricted, pinned between his body and Boo’s. He tried unfurling them in a vicious struggle that ended up with him falling unceremoniously onto the sand. Brushing away Bamboo’s help as well as the sand on his pants he stood up hastily, red in the face, and glaring at the offending coconut.

“Yes, crack it open, I would enjoy watching its end immensely.” Turning to Boo, Edelweiss did want to be grateful for at least not cracking his tailbone or conjuring any bruises. He gulped down a chunk or pride, swallowing loudly before adding, “Thanks. You can have the bigger half.”

” uf! Hey!” he was startled as Edel bounced off him, scampering in an effort to get away. Was he angry? He was getting rather...red.

” Nah. You did the hard part, climbing and getting it off. Only fair you get the biggest half. But, if I 'm good at this maybe we can do it perfectly in half. I want to crack it first... that way we can drink the water before we get to its flesh.” Its delicious, delicious flesh. Boo 's tail swished in anticipation.

“ Edel, its not easy. Any of it. Man, the first time I did it I broke an arm. You 're much more graceful than I am.” nHe paused, realizing it might sound like he had put him in harm 's way. “ For the record though, I 'd never get hurt like that. Ever. I 'll always catch you.”

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Bamboo and Edelweiss Empty Re: Bamboo and Edelweiss

Post by Sanhadrin Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:15 am

"Anyway," Bamboo pulled out a cloth and laid it out so that the other could sit if he chose, then crouched and positioned the  coconut to take a slice of the green peel right off with a small knife he pulled out. "Let me get the water out first. After all that work I think we earned it..."

He shaved the green husk away and then pushed in sharply through one of the holes.

"Success! Have you tried it before? Its... quite refreshing but not quite like water, or milk." he brushed the hair out of his face and offered it up to Edelweiss. "Stay in the shade a bit, and after you drink it up I'll slice it up."

( Thank you for the amazing icons! <3 <3)

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:06 pm

((ahh of course! I'm so glad you like them! ♥️))

Edelweiss stared hard at his acquisition. The coconut looked so much smaller in Bamboo's hands. It seemed like if he'd just done the work in the first place it would've been no effort at all. He felt a pang in his heart and he couldn't place if it was envy or esteem. Maybe it was a mixture of both. He wasn't sure, it wasn't like he really had friends or many people to talk to before. He wished he could've learned these things earlier in life so his cheeks wouldn't feel so hot now. He thought he must be ashamed for not being able to properly assign his sentiments. Of course, that was it. His promise of protection was something he was sure Bamboo said to a lot of people, especially as a servant for Water.

He wordlessly sat on the blanket that Bamboo had laid out for him. Used to the kind of attending after from the other acolytes he didn't question being fawned over in any way. But on the other hand he also hadn't seen the other acolytes treat each other much like this. He paused before sliding over to leave enough room in the shade for Bamboo to sit next to him.

"Thanks," He uttered, taking the coconut and patting the ground next to him, offering up the adjacent spot. Edelweiss tilted the fruit slightly to its side, the liquid sloshing around on the inside, "I feel like I need a straw or something..."

He gave Bamboo a quizzical look, "I've never had this before." He answered flatly.
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:42 am

((He's soooo cute OMG))

"Oh. Thank you."

After a startled pause he smiled and sat next to him, folding his robes under him as he held it the coconut towards him. It felt so strange and wondrous to share something that felt so familiar and yet thrilling in its intimacy. He had done such things so many times... but often on his own. Having an accomplice on the fun was so much more -- and the perennial scowl seemed to have faded just a little.

"Aiii..." he admitted with a pang. "I'm sorry, I didn't think to pack one." He contemplated as he sloshed it slowly. "Here, let me show you how you drink it. Sometimes its straightforward, but it can be messy. I can always find something so that you don't get it on your clothes, but... its probably okay?"

He aimed his mouth over the whole and positioned his lips carefully, tilting his head back so that the liquid slid into his mouth. He took an eager gulp, grateful for the refreshment in the heat; he loved the taste of it, and was glad to see the fresh coconut had great water. He swallowed it down with a little sigh and licked his lips, handing it over.

"My parents didn't like me to climb trees... so naturally I did it every time they turned their back. It took me a few tries before I figured out how to get the water out though, the first few times I just broke the coconut and wasted it..." he sighed. "The meat is pretty good too though, but there's something to the water. Great nutrients, I guess. Like a forbidden treasure."

He flicked his braid back and laid back a little on his free arm, enjoying the shade and the relative quiet.

"So the trick - I can help if you like, but I think it's hopefully straightforward? Position your lips just under it and tilt back a little. Don't try to suck it out, you don't want to eat bits of the husk... just kinda tilt it and let it run down into your mouth."

He smiled at sight of Edel, curious and a little less guarded. Water, he was beautiful.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:13 pm

(( hehe thanks! I changed his design a tad and I think this one fits him better hahaha))

Edelweiss took an appraising look down at his slipshod outfit, tugging at the collar of his shirt. An eyebrow arched as he considered Bamboo's words.

"it's fine if it gets dirty, a lot of parishioners leave things or gift weird things like this. I don't really treasure something like a tank top," He shrugged at Bamboo, a devious grin crossing his face, "If I came out here and got my robes dirty however, Water would bury me at sea for that." He scoffed with clear disdain, "Imagine those gaudy things getting covered in sand and dirt?!"  He snickered, leaning back on his arms, keeping his legs comfortably in a cross-legged sit.

He let Bamboo lecture him on the proper technique, carefully committing to memory the process and taking the fruit in one hand he eyed Bamboo once more, waiting for Bamboo to give him one last reassuring look before trying it himself. Tilting his head back he tried to aim properly into his mouth. There was a pause where nothing happened and he shook the coconut hastily when the juice poured out a little too quickly, dribbling over his chin and down his neck. He buckled over in surprise, coughing in a sudden sputter before wiping at his mouth with the back of his hand.

Edelweiss, composure forgotten, pushed the coconut back at Bamboo. A small grin was plastered on his face, "If that's just what the milk tastes like what does the rest of if taste like?"
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Edel's mood was infectious, and he couldn't help but mirror it. No, he didn't want to picture what it would take to get those cumbersome robes clean... they likely weighed more than Edelweiss and were definitely meant for  decoration rather than practicality. Still, he hadn't really noted how simple the outfit was until Edel remarked on it; on  him everything became instantly  fetching. He could probably wear nothing but rainbow polka dots and still look elegant.

He chuckled and shook his head. "You're right, I dread to even think on it. But the top... fits you. I mean, differently. I mean..." he cleared his throat and watched him as he drank, eyes wide as the water spilled over his chin and trailed a path down his throat. He started up a little, worried that it might spoil Edel's mood -- but then he was grinning up at him, and that expression transformed any and every worry in him with its curious joy.

Friendship. How long had it been since he'd been so open, so blunt with another? Since he hadn't had to tone his enthusiasm down, or been teased for his delight over simple joys? He felt his cheeks burn and hurriedly accepted the coconut back, excited to share that too.

"Oh, that's the best part! Well I mean, I like it..." he hastened, worried he might be overselling it. " I guess its the discovery of it, you know? Here, stand back a little..."
He leaned forward to one of the closest rocks and secured it firmly in his hands, licking his lip in concentration. With a practiced hand he knocked it down hard onto the rocks, until it broke with a satisfying crack. Using the knife he wedged it and pried it open into two halves, then used some of the husk he has sliced off earlier to slide under the meat and pull it from the husk, presenting it a half to Edel as a plate.

"Its not really sweet, but... almost? Crunchy..." he bit into in, a thrill going down his spine. " I don't know what I could compare it to... want to try?"

(is MELTING. OMG that smile... ))

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 am

Bamboo stumbling over his words confused Edelweiss but he tried to be patient and let him continue. Of course the robes fit him, they were made to fit him. They were just robes, though, why think about uniforms when there were coconuts about?

Edelweiss flicked his fins out like a curious bird. The light cast through the webbing like stained glass cast a red shadow on the ground making him self conscious about his over-sized appendages and hastily tucked them down. Sitting bolt upright, legs underneath him, he leaned to see around Bamboo without getting up. Curiosity and interest etched across his face without trace of  his usual disdain for most things.

Watching closely with the smallest hint of trepidation his fins snapped up again in surprise at the loud crack of the coconut over the rock.

"The best part?" Edelweiss questioned with a hint of incredulity on the edge of his voice. He squinted at the slice of fruit that Bamboo was holding. His hesitation wasn't matched by his body language, however, which clearly wanted to know what the big deal was. He stretched out a hand, palm out in response to Bamboo's inquiry.

"Yes," He answered, greedily taking the slice and taking a bite of its flesh. His eyes grew wide, quickly finishing the snack.

"There's more of that, right?" He looked to Bamboo, hungrily, and down to the knife and the rest of the coconut in his hands.
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 am

Bamboo watched Edel's face as he tried out the coconut flesh, hoping he didn't hate it and ended up spitting it out. To his surprise he seemed delighted with it, rapidly devouring it. He felt a little shiver go down his spine with the growing realization that he'd do just about anything to please the seer -- to see that happy, curious expression on his face more.

"Lots! Here, easiest is to use the husk itself and kinda wedge it out..." he slipped it under half of the flesh and slid it cleanly out before taking the knife and cutting it into long strips. Once that was done he held out the half to Edelweiss and cut his own in strips, taking just one to enjoy as he watched. If he ended up eating the whole thing, that was fine by him.

"My mother liked to shred it and cook it with rice. It was a special treat, now and then. For me though -- nothing quite tastes like when you pull if off the tree and just have at it, there and then." He took another bite and crunched it slowly, savoring the texture as much as the flavour. Beyond he could see the waves lapping at the shore and the tiny trails where hermit crabs had criss crossed the sand. "I guess the food is one thing I miss. I haven't quite really enjoyed meals at the temple, so now and then I sneak out to get myself a treat." he admitted a little guiltily.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:08 am

Edelweiss inhaled the rest of the coconut that Bamboo had stripped off of the husk for him.

"You can cook it with other things too?" He mumbled, his mouth still half full. He swallowed emphatically, taking his next bite with a more deliberate chance to taste it and let it sit on his tongue.

"I might have to add you to my personal retainers if you'd be able to bring more of this to eat. Water knows we need something better than the gruel the current menu is serving us up there." Edelweiss jutted his chin out in the direction of the temple disapprovingly. "Plus, maybe you won't miss home so much if you have it here." He added with a shrug, trying to sound detached, he stared off at the uphill slope they had traveled down. Edelweiss thought if he let his thought trail off here he wouldn't sound so selfish as to ask Bamboo to stay near him at all times like a personal butler. He certainly wasn't as annoying as the other acolytes and he had good ideas involving lunchtime. It sounded more thoughtful like this, surely, also, just as important, he would have a heavy supply of that coconut.

Snapping him out of his daydream, Edelweiss snapped his head towards the water as something glinting in the sunshine caught his eye, "Wait, what was that?" He stood, his fins unfurling in curiosity. He brushed sand off his shorts hurriedly and started walking in the direction of the beach before he could get an answer from Bamboo.
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:18 am

(( oooh the mystery deepens!))

"Oh yeah! You can have it like this, or cook it with rice, with meats... some people use it for desserts." He wondered if L' Ambrosie carried any coconut desserts he might be able to bring Edelweiss, so distracted by the thought he almost missed the offer.

"I'd.... I'd like that very much, actually. To be near you." he cleared his throat. "But I am at Water's disposal, so it would only be possible if the temple agreed..." and some of his peers might grumble if they felt he was getting special treatment. Surely all of them would have loved the chance to serve and look after Edelweiss?

"The temple food is sustenance. I guess its meant to teach us to not think about food?" he smiled ruefully. "Perhaps I'm just a slow learner. But even if... you know, you couldn't, I'd be happy to make sure you got some coconuts every day. I could come around dawn, pick you some for breaking fast -"

He kept talking distractedly, until Bamboo's exclamation made him look up. Was there something in the water? He watched as the seer got up and dusted himself off determinedly, but froze. It was in the water, near the waves. Surely he shouldn't go near it?

Warnings ran in his head even as he put down the remainder of his coconut husk, knowing he would follow all the same. He glanced at their picnic basket and stood up, lifting his robes so he wouldn't trip over them as he moved to catch up to Edelweiss.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum