Two Headed Monster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bamboo and Edelweiss

2 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Bamboo and Edelweiss - Page 6 Empty Re: Bamboo and Edelweiss

Post by Sanhadrin Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:00 am

"Thank you. That... I'd really appreciate that. I like the idea of hiding out with you for the day, actually. Food, books, good company... what's not too like." He smiled, shaking his head. "I just don't want the burden of knowing possible things to come you know? I mean, I sort of do, in a way. So I prefer to wander obliviously through life, heh."

He thought about it for a moment before replying. " I know you can't always help what you come across, so if you do... well, there's that, but don't tell me. And don't go poking if you can avoid it, is my one request. I'm not curious about the future, to be honest. Well, for the most part." he lifted his hands, palms up. " I mean, nothing wrong with living in the moment, right?"

At his well wishes he the grin spread wider. "Thank you, Edelweiss. I'm good. I think actually today's been the most fun day in a long time, and that has a lot to do with you and our adventures, heh so... I'll focus on that."

As they entered the archives he looked around, curious.

"Darkness transforms everything, doesn't it?" He murmured. "It looks so different in the dark. Its nice that they let you come and go as you please in here, but I'd find it a bit eerie if I was on my own. I'm not as brave as you though - " he noted. " I mean, you saw me with those terrifying waves."

He rooted around until he found another lantern, nodding.

"I think you're right, better to have a little more light. Can I borrow a match? Well, really can I take it because I'm not really giving it back."

He looked around at the shadows that they cast around the room, his eyes wide and enthusiastic.

"You know those adventure stories? Doesn't this feel like? The moment when they sneak into some hidden relic to decode a legend or a mystery that will lead them into an epic trail..." he grinned unrepentantly. "Or a shopping trip. I'm pretty sure that pillow is mine..."

He reached out and moved part of Edel's robes carefully out of the way.

"So where to start? I can get books on the language, or we could see if they have anything on actual code-breaking? If they used it in scriptures in the past there might be a general section on it.?"

(( I'm totally winging it as I've no idea if you had plans for the message sooooo... Wink)

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:12 am

Edelweiss had never once in his life thought anyone considered him good company. Quick to sour the mood in most situations, some priests on occasion were glad to let him know it too. He was glad the head archivist was at least bland enough not to care if he bent the rules a little bit for him. His fins fanned out at the thought that someone might actually... care to be around him.

"I mean, in a sense you're right, sometimes I can't help it. If it were up to me I wouldn't have the visions flood into dreams, it's not always... pleasant." Edelweiss thought back to the rows of glass vials in his room, wondering what sort of concoction tonight might get him a few more hours of rest. "If you come to me in a dream, I won't tell you about it, then, if you don't wish to know." He'd keep it a secret like he did most of his dreams but he couldn't promise to keep everything a secret from Water. Hopefully it wouldn't have to come to that.

And then there it was again. Bamboo actually called him fun. He couldn't tell if this made him anxious or maybe even excited? Edelweiss landed on maybe there was a screw loose with his new-found friend. "If you think so." Was his short reply.

"I find solace in the dark. It's finally... quiet in here." It wasn't quiet in the temple, it wasn't quiet in his head, but here... Here it was quiet. Here it was somber and dim and he could be left alone. He was trusting Bamboo with this place, he realized, 'Why is it so easy to trust him? Maybe because he's so simple... maybe a simpleton?' Edelweiss found himself almost glaring at Bamboo trying to figure him out when he remembered he required words for a conversation, not just inner thoughts. "I don't think bravery is what comes into play necessarily. Maybe it's more of what you need that is a more powerful desire than to overcome what's eerie to others."

Edelweiss shrugged, "I'm sure the archivist doesn't count the matches." The second lantern, when lit quickly shone over more rows of shelves making a warm globe of light around them.

"A mystery, certainly, we better not split up if we don't want to get taken by the villain." His own words surprised him, he wasn't used to playing along with anyone, especially any sort of banter. He bit his lip, unsure if this was even okay. He looked away at the books, trying to busy himself when he felt Bamboo brush at his robes. He took a step back in shock, he was so inwardly focused that he wasn't expecting or prepared to be touched, even the slightest bit. He knocked into the shelf as he took a step back, his hip hitting the spine of a particularly thick volume. He glared daggers at Bamboo ready to blame him as he rubbed at the bruise he was sure was going to form before he realized he really only had himself to blame. He sighed, a flush forming as he closed his eyes, and apologized, no real emotion behind it, in the direction of the bookshelf, but he meant it at Bamboo. He gathered up a fistful of robes to hold it out of the way of the bottom shelf where Bamboo was looking, trying to be considerate while also bristling.

"Let's start with language." Edelweiss gestured at a different row of books, his sleeve trailing as he pointed. He was happy to be talking about books and mysteries again, focusing on something else. "There's probably less books in here about that. Easier to narrow down."

((I have like a vaaaague plan like maybe where they'll end but the rest can be winging it! I even considered making a cipher but I've made them in the past and... that's a lot xD ))
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:55 am

"ok, well, if you have a dream about me I would... uh.. probably like to know. I've had some with you in them." He answered distractedly, looking around as he set to try and get his bearings in the dark library. "I guess it is. No one to bug you, and you can just look around. Its nice, when you look at it that way."

His thoughts were elsewhere as he tried to figure out where it would be easy to find what they wanted to, lighting the second lantern with care as he looked down the stacks of books.

Bamboo couldn't help but grin as Edelweiss played along; he could picture the two of them as dashing investigators trying to get to the bottom of an ancient mystery. They may as well be, as though he doubted many could get to them all the way at the temple. He didn't register Edelweiss' sudden movement of his glare when he had moved the robes out of the way, a little less sharp on the uptake with how tired he was from the long day.

"I think its better to stay together anyway. But yeah, you know what I was thinking?" he knelt on the ground and brushed his braid back as he tried to look through the different titles. "I know that lots of the symbols can be read as pictographs so a book that looks at them that way... aha!" He exclaimed triumphantly, pulling one out the shelf. "Originally they were very visual, wanting to depict... ideas or objects, not strictly sounds. You're very good at interpreting things, so I think you'll learn most of them quickly..."

Pulling out the large tome he opened it carefully.

"Its cold here though. Want to find a reading room, or pick a few more books first so we have tons to choose from?"

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:39 am

"Dreams about me? I don't usually get to hear about other people's dreams, what happened in it?" Edelweiss could only assume it was a nightmare like most of his dreams. What other type of dream would be a character in, surely? Maybe he didn't need more nightmare fuel, but yet again his blatant curiosity propelled him forward.

Edelweiss watched as Bamboo's rope of inky hair fell behind his shoulders. Maybe he wasn't as simple as Edelweiss originally thought, and he felt almost ashamed to have primarily thought so. "Bamboo," he intoned, "That's actually a really good idea." He sounded almost surprised but didn't think it was enough to discredit Bamboo's thought process.

"What if we found one more book about translating into a common tongue and we can go someplace warmer. The library and these absurd outfits Water has us wear aren't exactly suited." Edelweiss rubbed at his arms, the cold of stone all around them starting to get to him and his flimsy garments.

He stepped briskly to another shelf, slippers barely making any noise on the marble floor. He thought he'd seen one that might work last week that he didn't bother to try and read without having any previous knowledge about how to read old scriptures. He felt like the green binding of the book was taunting every day in the past week but now... it seemed to be a title in his favor.
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:05 am

((*Cackles*))

"Uh... pardon?" only half realizing what he'd brought up his brain seemed to short circuit for a moment, never being someone able to easily lie. He wasn't about to start, really. What was the worst that could happen? He didn't have to tell him about ALL the dreams, and besides Edelweiss probably understood better than most that one couldn't be held accountable for what was dreamt.

"Well, there's been a few.... uh... I mean, the first one was so long ago and it was a nightmare I'd rather not think about and the last one..." Nope, not that one either. "Well, I guess I could tell you about one I had not that long ago?" He found the familiar warmth back on his cheeks, the embarrassment fighting against the warm feeling the memory brought up. "We were by the water, you and I. I wasn't afraid of it... I know, I know... but I guess its okay in dreams?" He smiled. "It was silly I guess. I was putting flowers in your hair, some of the ones that people leave for the festival. You were laughing at me, and it made you look so beautiful. So elegant and slim, as usual but I guess... I don't know. In the dream you just looked happy and relaxed. I finished putting on the flowers and handed you a slice of fruit; you looked up and..." he cleared his throat. "And then we kissed, and it felt really nice."

He reached abruptly for another book, crimson to the tips of ears.

"But you're right, its too cold in here. I'm cold and I didn't even think about your robes... and hey, even I can have a good idea now and then." he smiled self deprecatingly and rose with the two tomes. "Let's find what you suggest and we can go somewhere warmer and see what we can puzzle out. Don't want you catching cold. " He wanted to rub warmth back onto those limbs, but resisted looking his way.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 pm

Leaning one elbow on a bookshelf, Edelweiss supported his head in his hand, a bored, solemn expression gracing his face as he listened to Bamboo slowly recall his dream. Just the mention that they were near water immediately gave him the impression that it was going to be exactly what he predicted, a nightmare. Bamboo trailed on and Edelweiss' lips went into a thin line at his description of him, still unused to taking compliments gracefully. He slowly lifted his head from his hand, his eyes widening in surprise at the conclusion. He was a little taken aback that he wasn't able to predict that particular outcome but Bamboo did just admit that he would probably prefer kissing men, not that dreams would let you choose which man.

Edelweiss coughed uncomfortably into his hand, his cheeks rosy with being told something so personal. "Well, to dream of water, especially calm water means that you're in-tune with your spirituality, a good thing for you being an acolyte." Edelweiss started picking apart the dream, falling into interpretations again, something that made him most comfortable. He recounted that food in dreams sometimes meant an unfulfilled sexual desire. He skipped that part, "If you didn't eat any of the fruit it could indicate your tendency to always put others ahead of your own needs. As a result, you are compromising your own emotional well being and happiness. And a kiss..." He started to trail off. A kiss could mean many things in a dream. Almost as many things as a waking kiss would mean. "A kiss of the same-sex could mean self-acceptance," Edelweiss landed on this explanation, one of the easier ones to leave open-ended, "Or of a friend," He added, noticing the blush up Bamboo's cheeks, not wanting him to worry about it, "could just simply mean the upmost respect. I suppose I should take it as a compliment from your subconscious."

Edelweiss grabbed the last book he wanted from the shelf before catching Bamboo undervalue himself. He wanted to say he didn't mean it like that but he cared more about leaving the awkward atmosphere behind in the archives than correcting himself, or Bamboo for that matter.

"Follow me." He motioned towards the other end of the library set into the unfinished stone of the rock half of the temple was set into. "We can light a fire in one of the hearths of the reading rooms, your robes aren't exactly built for the cold either."
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:31 pm

(("... he skipped that part " XD XD XD I just want to hug them both... ))

Was he blushing? Bamboo only half caught the other's response as he tried not to look at him while he spoke. He was relieved that after initial awkwardness Edelweiss settled into examining the dream and chose to be generous in his interpretation.

He really didn't see how kind he was, when he didn't have to be. His reaction uncoiled the apprehension from Bamboo's stomach, and he couldn't help but realize that the more he knew Edelweiss the more he grew to like that spiky, sweet heart. He wished he could remember what he had tasted like.

" A compliment. Yes. That's what... yeah."  He stood and nodded, admittedly feeling his skin goose bumping in the night chill. "It was a nice dream, and I treasure those. Warmer sounds good. Out of curiosity... -do- you like mango?" he added as an afterthought.

He carried the books and the lantern carefully and followed after him, committing to memory the way the light and shadows bounced off him and around the room.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:57 pm

((xD who can be the most awkward, a game))

"Mhm, dreams and not nightmares." Edelweiss agreed, he was sick of only having the latter recently. He was already leading them to where they can get to warmth when Bamboo caught him off guard. He almost tripped over his own robes at the question and turned to look at Bamboo squarely, a scowl on his lips. He wasn't sure how to take the question but it felt more related to Bamboo's dream than just about peculiar tastes. He felt his cheeks tinge the slightest bit of pink, again, being brought into Bamboo's personal matters.

"I do happen to like mango." Was all he suggested before abruptly turning and entering a reading room.

The interior looked more like a study than a part of the temple. It was meant to be comfortable for long hours of study rather than reminiscent of the cold, hard stone in the Grecian style that the rest of the temple mimicked on the outside. There was kindling in the hearth that was kept there for anyone that worked in the archives, not just Edelweiss. He plopped his books down on a table, already starting to turn pages under the assumption that Bamboo would start the fire without his prompting.
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:10 am

(( XD XD ))

"Good. I'll remember that. I'll try to keep track of things you enjoy for meal planning and...stuff."

He didn't pursue the line of thought too much, distractedly seeing the colour that seeped into Edelweiss' cheeks. If he liked mango he might like some other tropical fruits, and that might help find things that nourished better.

"I know I obsess with food sometimes but its just... the right food feeds the soul too, you know? Makes your spirit brighter. Maybe I just find too much comfort on it, heh." Thankfully his metabolism helped. He liked the thought of simple joys, and the delight he seemed to share about those discoveries with the seer.

He relaxed as they arrived into the more comfortable alcove and put the lantern and books down on the table next to Edelweiss before turning his attention automatically to starting a fire. After all he wanted to take care of the oracle and make him more comfortable, and they were both cold; taking over the task of accomplishing that was second nature.

Bamboo grabbed a long kindling stick and put it to the lantern until it caught the flame, then carefully knelt by the hearth and began to blow until the tiny flame caught onto others and began to grow. He pushed his braid out of the way and continued to feed it and build it carefully, his eyes caught by the sight of the flames began to grow.

"A breath, and a song, and a dancer remembers..." he intoned softly, remembering the old song. Was it a prayer? It had been before the ways of water, but common wishes for a hearty meal and a warm fire in the night. He put his hands to the fire as it began to grow more robustly and then moved back to sit by Edelweiss. He pulled out a careful notebook and began to open one of the books.

"If you're every awake late at night you can wake me, you know. I'm good at telling boring stories and putting others back to sleep." he smiled as he began to scan the pictographs.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:48 am

((also sorry for sporadic posting.. there's a toy show this weekend with my work that we're preparing for and it's just been a lot recently hahaha so sleepy... ALSO "and... stuff" xD Ohhhh Bamboo))

"Food to me is well..." Edelweiss tried out the sentence in his head before finishing it. The words had a resounding tediousness to them and he decided against it, instead going for, "When it comes from you it breaks the monotony." That would explain why he wanted Bamboo to be a retainer at the very least, he hoped he didn't need more words to get his point across. He wondered if mango and coconut would go good together. What other fruits would go good together. Edelweiss found his thoughts wondering in a direction they rarely went and he thought he almost felt a spark of joy for finding something fresh in his life. At least that's what he assumed it's what his heart was saying.

Bamboo said words into the fire and Edelweiss could barely make them out. "What is that? It sounds familiar, almost like a magic spell. Or I "saw" it at some point..." He frowned at Bamboo when he came to sit by him, not realizing that his earnest face was more scary than curious sometimes.

Edelweiss uncorked the bottle the same way he saw Bamboo do so that morning, laying the cryptex, the cipher, and some accidental sand out on the table away from the books. He raised an eyebrow at Bamboo, skeptical. "You wouldn't mind if I woke you?" He left out the time frame of every night. "I don't doubt the stories aspect but if you miss out on sleep would that hinder acolyte duties? I suppose I can make it a duty to the temple's oracle, If that suits me. That one might be on the mercy of Water." Edelweiss didn't really know what duties Bamboo had entailed for the day or the particulars besides sometimes finding a lower acolyte like him scrubbing floors.
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum