Two Headed Monster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bamboo and Edelweiss

2 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Bamboo and Edelweiss - Page 8 Empty Re: Bamboo and Edelweiss

Post by Sanhadrin Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:56 am

(( LMAO! I have no idea... do you WANT them to be food? XD XD XD))

His attention had been so focused on the transcription that he didn't really notice what Edelweiss had been up to until the seer handed the paper in his direction. He looked up at the sound of Edelweiss blowing on the ink, unable to help himself from sneaking a look at the way his lips scrunched up to blow air out. They were such a contrast to his pale, elegant skin, and he almost missed the words that he said as he folded up the paper and held it up.

"Hm? Oh! Thank you!! Heh, I imagine there will be grumblings because we all hate cleaning duties, I think, and I get stuck with most so they will have to fall on someone else now." He contemplated. He hoped it was on one of the acolytes who were particularly mocking or unkind --- but then he felt guilty to have that thought in the first place. "It comes from you, so I can't imagine anyone will question it. But... thank you."

He took it gently and then smiled, chagrined. "Well, not exactly so I think as far as our wager goes you've likely won it. Kinda sad about that, I like the thought of that pillow." he pointed towards the various symbols. "Its kinda neat, actually, because the words can actually have a couple of different meanings. The ideograms themselves represent a variety of flowers... I think most are still in existence, but there's a couple I've only seen referenced. I've seen pictures though." he pointed towards one of the words. "Thing is in ancient scripture flowers stood for more than flowers. They represented seasons, emotions... virtues even. So even though this is the name I guess it could mean so many different things in the context. I guess that's what the cryptex helps with, right?"

He paused and hesitated, never really using his psionics in the temple. "Here, like this one. It was called the ... Moonflower, I guess its the closest? But it was used to forecast a pattern of tides." He looked around and made certain no one else would disturb them, shyly lifting up his hands. " I could show you. Just don't tell..."

Bamboo half closed his eyes and let the energy move slowly through his arms with a soft shiver, coalescing into filaments of coloured light that could almost have been spidersilk. He let the shiver loose and soon they grew in brightness as a myriad colours rose to take shape ; a multipetaled flower floated over his hands, taking shape and bending as though the breeze caressed it. Soon the light began to glow brighter and the room seemed almost a kaleidoscope of lights.

"My psionics are pretty useless but... well, they can show a picture, at least." He admitted. "See the petals? The virtuous in scriptures were described as these flowers because they filtered the light through. It was said that in the seasons they were plentiful the tides would be easy to map and to predict."

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:05 pm

((Sketchy sketch! Also, found the best song for Bamboo actually, "Lovely"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xirk18P889U ))

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:26 am

((xD I'm trying to plan it so they both win but it's not easy hahaha also AHH that Bamboo sketch and that song to go with it is so atmospheric and pretty ; _ ; <3 ))

"I'm sure they'll sorely miss having someone they can get to swab the deck. If they find a way to have you do both... I can see them trying at least." Edelweiss nodded his head at Bamboo's admission of thanks, "Of course. You're doing me a favor anyway, and it would be great to annoy some of the priests while I was at it anyway." Edelweiss had a clear distaste for people who thought they could throw their weight around and this was no exception. He already could feel the impish smile crossing his face, not a shred of guilt behind it.

Edelweiss cocked a brow, a smile on the tail end of his jibe. "You can't possibly think someone would through a grocery list into the ocean for people to find, though? The pillow is yours for going through the trouble of doing the research, though, that counts for something."

Leaning back over the paper, Edelweiss spread his hand over the corner of the page to keep it from rolling up while he got a closer look. "I don't personally know the language of flowers, but I've heard of it. I've been told my name means... noble, notoriety, devotion... snow..." Edelweiss trailed off and wondered if Bamboo meant anything. Does Bamboo flower. Not leaving the temple for long periods of time left him wondering a lot of things that he'd only be able to get answers to by visions or books. Nothing real.

Distracted, Edelweiss shifted his gaze to look at Bamboo, "Show me what?" Losing his train of thought his voice sounded annoyed before he immediately adjusted it along with an honest expression of wonder fixed upon his face.

"No... It's beautiful." He reached out a hand to touch the illusion, his fingers merely caressing air. He let his hand drop so that the tips of his fingers could trace the light from Bamboo's hand and then back into the air, watching the kaleidoscope of color dance across his own skin. Transfixed, Edelweiss had completely forgotten they were working on a puzzle. He rarely, if ever got to see someone use their psionics and it had always fascinated him. "I don't have any reason to tell anyone." He finally answered after several moments. The feeling of possessiveness and wanting to keep this a secret felt different to him than just wanting to own things out of spite. This was different in a way he couldn't put his finger on.

Edelweiss' lifted his fins, the curiosity showing in his expression. The light filtered through them casting a warm glow on his face. "What do you think is the key to the cipher, then? Is it this flower?"
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:41 am

(( Sweet babies <3 <3 <3 ))

"Would it be bad to admit that would give me just a teeny bit of joy? I mean they're so bossy..." maybe it was petty, but he liked the idea that they wouldn't be able to really bully him around much anymore, at least in theory.  His eyes trailed to Edelweiss' smile as a slight one spread over his face.

"I'd... really like that, thank you. I was hoping I could still have it, but really I'm pretty sure you're right in it not being a shopping list so I'll have to be climbing up pretty early to get all your coconuts." He got the pillow! HE could snuggle close to it each and every night and dream of the oracle... "Noble devotion. That sounds about right." Snow... as beautiful as freshly fallen snow...

He shivered in delight when Edel watched the flower, transfixed by the way his psionics and the coloured lights played over his pale skin. He hadn't realized he could find him even more beautiful until he saw him bathed in the light.

"I'm not supposed to show it. I don't like to, usually. Its... a private joy, I guess?  A companion when I'm lonely, or troubled.  Only my grandmother got to see it, years ago. I didn't really want people to make fun of it, and ... well there were other reasons too." he smiled quietly, thoughtful at the memory it stirred. Still, now Edelweiss held a little piece of him, a memory of light.

"I think the light and the flower together, perhaps? Or the idea that a thing can be more, can transcend. You're better at puzzles than I could ever be..." he let the light extend and drape over the other, then slowly cast a light over the parchment. "But these are all names of flowers, maybe they weren't literal and the meaning is the message the cryptex can decode? Take this one... I guess it could be the Path of Tides...?"

He looked down, thoughtful. "I don't know all of their meanings, but I could see if there's a book on that too, unless you do?"

((Totally making it up so I hope Edel and you can put it together...? XD  AAah I wish I could draw it like I see it, but I think the effect worked... pretty babies <3 <3 ))

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:05 pm

((well I for one, looove how you drew it! Very Happy ))
“What? No. Just desserts are most delicious when they’re served up on a hot platter.” Edelweiss was glad Bamboo was starting to see things his way a little bit, even if Bamboo did feel guilty about the wicked joy it brought. ’Sometimes he can stand to not be my complete opposite,’ Edelweiss thought.

“When I’m right, I’m right.” Edelweiss shrugged, not used to ever being wrong. It’s almost cheating when you have cosmic foresight on your side, but this time he could at least just boast on his own merit. “At least with the pillow I can expect fresh coconuts on the regular, I hope. The more rested you are the harder you can work for them.” Maybe that was a twisted way of thinking. Edelweiss didn’t intend to sound like he was giving for selfish reasons but his words always sounded tinted with mocking anyway so what else was new. 

Turning, Edelweiss narrowed his eyes, “What do you mean you’re not supposed to? A gift is a gift. You should be able to do with it what you please.” He was bristling with annoyance at the people that would deign to make fun of something that doesn’t even effect them. That protective feeling for Bamboo thrummed another pang in his chest. 

“The light..and..?” Edelweiss trailed his gaze back towards the paper, noticing something new now that Bamboo had used his psionic to cast a new light, both literal and metaphorical, over their findings. “If the altered letters spell out this moon flower then.. hmm..” Edelweiss pulled Bamboo’s arm wordlessly to make the light play over the paper, lighting up a hidden message, this time in their common tongue.

“C..U…Cupcake?” Edelweiss intoned skeptically. He picked up the cryptex slowly and dubiously started to turn the dials to the letters.

((I know what I want to put inside that tube now lol xD))
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:47 pm

(( THank you!! <3 <3 And OMG Is it a recipe???? XD XD XD ))

"I'll remember that!" he chuckled softly. "Next time I get to bake you a dessert." He nodded, eager at the thought of the colourful, comfy pillow. "Pillow or not, I plan to make it a point to get you fresh fruit every morning. some I can pick and others the vendors have out early, so I can go get some. Coconuts will naturally feature prominently, but I think there are others you might enjoy too." He beamed at the Oracle." I will work hard for you. I will take really good care of you, I promise."

He meant it. He wanted to everything he could to make sure to bring moments of joy and delight, or at least to help some of the load the other burdened.

At his comments about his psionics he looked down, conflicted. "Its... complicated. Part of what my parents were told, I guess. But its okay, I guess I mostly... I like that its my own, you know? Something mine. I guess now the people that I wanted to share it with I have, restrictions or not." he smiled, and followed his gaze as he puzzled out their theories.

Incredulously he watched as the labour of their hard worked spelled out a baked dessert and wide eyed watched as Edelweiss started working on the cryptex.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:22 pm

((hehehe >Very Happy))
"I meant the saying, you know? 'Just desserts'? But ah... you know..." Edelweiss wasn't sure if Bamboo was just playing along, or being sincere, but with his innocent expression it was getting harder and harder for him to be short with Bamboo, "I'll take whatever you can make either way. Retribution or just some sweets." Just thinking of the possibilities of new foods to try, Edelweiss' eyes grew large with hope while his face remained stern. "I want to try everything in the market," He announced succinctly, the prospect of Bamboo's hard work and cooking on the horizon, "I'm going to hold you to that promise."

He'd never actually requested to have retainers before. This was a first for him and he didn't really have a standard to compare Bamboo to besides his what his predecessor had kept close to her. For now, Edelweiss just wanted someone near him that didn't annoy him within seconds.

Furrowing his brow Edelweiss shook his head, "I still don't understand your parents." He muttered, "They want you to keep hiding things and then when you do, here, they want you to stop doing that." He made an annoyed click with his tongue on his teeth, "So bossy. No wonder you left them." With a huff, Edelweiss went back to their project.

The dials didn't move too smoothly, sand was caught in between the wheels, but luckily there wasn't water damage. As the eighth wheel slid into place, the cap clicked open, sliding open to reveal a hidden compartment. Edelweiss slid out the rolled up paper concealed within, unraveling it to find out the answer to all of their hard work. Eyes skimming quickly back and forth over the slip, his expression immediately soured.

"It's... a coupon." He thrust it out so Bamboo could take it, his other hand pinching the bridge of his nose out of frustration. "Have you heard of 'L'Ambroisie'?"
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 pm

(( AHAHAHAHAHAH OMG That is perfect...!))

"Oh! Oh, yeah, that makes sense..." he blushed further, realizing he sounded rather simple. Edelweiss didn't seem to mind, and the thought of getting him something new from the market every day to try made Bamboo's heart happy. Those would be days he would look forward to, focus on and be proud and happy to live out. " Please do. If I ever disappoint just let me know, and I'll do better."

As talked to his family of origin he sighed, deflating a little at the memory.

"I've given up trying to understand them. I realized a long time ago that I could never make them proud, that I would never be enough. My grandma finally helped me see it and helped me sneak out... I came to the temple and that's that. Doesn't stop them from trying but I mostly manage to avoid them. I guess people can't control you unless you let them, right? So I'm working on that."

He let the psionics fade as he concentrated with bated breath on the mystery they were cracking. He watched as the oracle's deft hands maneuvered the mechanism and then sat back, dumbfounded at the revelation.

"I... do." he took the coupon, blinking rapidly. "Its the bakery in town. One of the better ones... I've gotten strawberries tarts for Water there once... the owner and her helper are really nice..." he looked at it still in utter disbelief. "That is a lot of trouble to go through...."

But then he might not have to bake right away.

"But after all of this... are you dissappointed? It was fun to discover it with you." he smiled. "And they make really really good desserts...

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 pm

"You'll do fine," Edelweiss sighed at Bamboo's proclivity to be self-depreciating, always trying to please. "You haven't disappointed me yet." He pointed out, trying to sound reassuring but maybe sounding a little threatening in the end. He was really going to have to work on his communication skills. It never mattered how he came off to others before now.

Bamboo talking about, even shying away from talking about his family, helped to put the pieces together in his last statement. Why he wanted to please others so badly, why he thought so little of himself. Edelweiss didn't want to assume anything of him without truly knowing him, but it was hard for him to not want to piece a person together out of small fragments, it was part of his nature after all.

"One of the better ones? Hmmm.." Edelweiss stared at the coupon in Bamboo's hand, cupping his own chin in thought. He'd rarely gone into town. Never traveled too far from the temple. He never needed to, and he hated being recognized by any devout parishioners.

"Maybe just disappointed that, that was it. I thought the trail might be longer, I don't know. At the least we can always return the cryptex to them." Edelweiss weighed the metal tube in his hand, closing his hand around it quickly to deposit it back into his bag.

"What do you say for your first job as my retainer you can accompany me to make use of our findings?"

((I FORGOT that Bamboo got tarts! aahhh I remember now! ; u ; ))
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:31 pm

((Delicious tarts... man I'm craving some right now hahaha! But yeah, it was so long ago lol! He thought Rue was the sweetest guy. Smile ))

Bamboo watched as Edelweiss put the cryptex away, happy that he wasn't really that disappointed. In fact, here was yet another adventure they could embark on! Despite having to venture into the awful frightening waves this was probably one of the happiest days he'd ever had.

"I wish today didn't have to end." he murmured quietly, then beamed at the oracle's idea. "Maybe we just make a good team? I am really intrigued by someone putting together something this elaborate for a coupon. I wonder how many others cracked it? I mean, I think few people have as much access to all of this..." he gestured to the library as he rose to put the fire out carefully. "Or your knowledge and intuition. But Ah, this place...! I can't wait to show it to you."

He grinned, eyes bright in delight.

"Its like a garden. You don't know where to look, what to choose. The smells, the look... the taste!" he looked abashed. "I -may- have eaten one of the tarts myself. I think you'd really like it there... I hope so!"

He piled the books carefully. " I made notes on which tomes might be good for learning the language on your next day off, if you'd still like that? And tomorrow we could go early and incognito... they bake early in the morning, so not many around. I can put on my ah... civilian outfit.." he grinned. "So no one will piece together that we come from the temple. I mean, really we can go whenever its best for you, just let me know. I can wake you up with breakfast. OR you can poke me up if you are up earlier than me for some reason, and I could get your breakfast there or..."

Bamboo paused, catching his breath. "Sorry, talking too much again. Just...so happy." he admitted.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum