Two Headed Monster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bamboo and Edelweiss

2 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Bamboo and Edelweiss - Page 7 Empty Re: Bamboo and Edelweiss

Post by Sanhadrin Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:05 am

((Not a problem at all, we had a week from hell so... just happy to sneak in some rp! Wink Hope the show goes great!!))

"My parents disapprove, but it was something my grandma used to say each night she lit the fire. 'A breath, and a song, and a dancer remembers..' its sort of a song. Not really an incantation, I don't think, but more of a wish for happiness, health, food. The simple joys. Not really sure where it comes from, grandma had particular beliefs I guess, but they were always lovely to me. She was magical, in my opinion."

She'd taught him cooking, songs, so many jokes and stories. He couldn't help but to smile at the memory, and the smile widened at Edelweiss's words. He paused in his perusal of the books long enough to look at him with a smile. "I am glad to hear that I help break the monotony a bit. I hope I can always manage that. Life's too short for it to be boring or flavourless, really..."

He returned to scanning the texts as Edelweiss uncorked the bottle, shaking his head as he rubbed his eyes.

"Hm? No. Why would I mind? My dreams are rarely pleasant enough that I would trade them for a chance to spend some time with a friend. Besides, you have a nest of pillows; I bet I could get you back to sleep in no time. " He laughed as Edelweiss quipped about his stories. "Ouch! Aaaah but its true, I am long-winded. I know. I'd tell you I'm working on that, but I'm really not. I'm too curious to stop asking questions, I guess." He thought about how lovely it would be to actually spend more time together, however it happened. "Honestly, it gets too quiet in the temple at night. It would break -my- monotony too. As for my duties.... I think I can still perform them on less sleep, honestly. My studies tend to be in the afternoons and most of the day I get sent on the tasks or errands no one else wants, but they tend to require little enough. I'm just happy to be here, I guess."

He turned to him as a thought struck him.
"Out of curiosity, what do you think acolytes do in the temple?"

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 pm

((aawww sorry to hear that- I hope everything's calmed down for you! I hear the snow is something else up there!))

"They seem to disapprove of a lot. No wonder you wanted to come here. The temple structure seems extremely pliable in comparison." Edelweiss slowly drew his eyes up to make eye contact with Bamboo. "You talk about her in the past tense? You know I could..." Edelweiss paused, this wasn't really information he liked to pass around, it lead to a lot of requests and he'd prefer only the select few that knew to keep it that way. He felt like he could trust Bamboo, and if he couldn't well... this would be a good test he supposed. "I could talk to her, you know. Spirits aid greatly in visions, they're good messengers of time, past and future since they walk the line between planes. Sometimes, not all the time, I can find particular ones if they're willing."

Edelweiss watched him rub at his eyes while questioning the theory of being woken in the middle of the night adding to exhaustion. He didn't push the fact that Bamboo looked tired now, he could do what he wanted to do, it wasn't Edelweiss' problem if he over worked himself, although he found he'd rather Bamboo stayed as healthy looking as he did this morning on the beach. His mind began to wonder, Bamboo's words starting to go past his ears when the sudden question snapped him back to the reading room.

"What do they...?" Edelweiss gave a rare surprised expression, his words coming out slowly, "Well, they... study... to become... priests... and then they...serv- You know you're asking a lot of questions today." His expression darkened, brows furrowing as he crossed his arms. The more he realized his explanation wasn't going anywhere the clear frustration grew on his expression.

Last edited by amarilloo on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:19 am

((Getting there! Smile <3 <3 Snow... well Vancouver usually doesn't get it, so when we get lots dumped on us it becomes the snowpocalypse.))

"Yup. By contrast I have all the freedom in the world here."

He shook his head, then froze at Edelweiss' words. Talk to his ama? Like actually... the thought was so tempting, as she had been a constant refuge and much beloved. He had missed her greatly and continued much of the things that she had taught him.

"Edelweiss, I thank you from the bottom of my heart because I can imagine that isn't something so quickly offered. But no, thank you. I prefer to remember as she was when she lived, and I don't think I would do well to lose her again. Besides, I would wager that sort of thing comes at a great cost to you -- so no. I would never seek that sort of thing if it meant that it would in any way cost you. Thank you though, I really appreciate your kindness in offering."

As they spoke and Edelweiss seemed irritated by his question he held up his hand.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to annoy you. But... that's sort of the thing. No one really knows. In theory yes, one day you become priests but there's a lot of acolytes and still a lot of priests around. As you climb that hierarchy I imagine most of it will be the age of my grandmother by the time one becomes a priest. Honestly I think these days we're mostly just labour around the temple for its upkeep and maintenance. I don't mind those parts, but my favorite duties are studying and learning, even if I'm slow at it." He grinned. "And cooking for you, if I'll be allowed to do that now. ANyway!"

He brushed his braid aside and moved over the book to a particular page.

"See these two symbols? I knew I recognized them, but its curious they are together..."

( I do imagine that she has lots of dirt on Boo if Edelweiss ever tried to talk to her though, heh))

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 am

Edelweiss' brows shot up, startled. Almost any other emotion rather than surly seemed to soften his face, "You're really not here for any sort of self-gain at all are you? You're the real deal, huh? You've turned down every offer I've given you so far." He narrowed his eyes when Bamboo started giving his reasons, "Who told you it would come at a cost?" Surely Water would blab something like that, she'd always had a propensity to overshare but Bamboo seemed to have a healthy fear of her enough that he might have never talked to her face to face. That raised another question rather than settled it for him.

"Have you talked to Water at all since coming here?" It was a loaded question that led right back into their lack of knowledge of an acolyte's journey here at the temple. It would make sense if he at least spoke to her upon entering, all acolytes had to do it at least once upon joining the clergy. Maybe Bamboo hadn't been here long enough? A lot of assumptions started bubbling up in Edelweiss that he tried to stifle to give Bamboo a chance to answer him first before bombarding him.

Folding his arms, Edelweiss slumped back into the seat. "I only ever secluded myself, so completely occupied with oracle duties, and well... it's not my job to know what other's are up to," he snapped. He acquiesced his tension when Bamboo took some time to explain himself but the questions only bubbled up on the tip of his tongue before their attention was again turned back to the whole reason they were out at the archives in the first place.

Leaning closer to Bamboo without changing his posture, Edelweiss peeked at the book. "Why is it peculiar?" Looking from the sea-weathered paper to the text he noticed similarities but it was hard to pick out exactly what matched up. Sticking out a slender finger he pointed to a line of text and with his other hand pointed to the symbol.

"If these are supposed to be the same why is the one that's part of the cipher altered slightly?"

((ahahaha I maaayy have to get you to play Bamboo's grandma in that case xD))
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:02 am

(( I have the faint recollection that he may have met Water in the festival thread, but I haven't unraveled that log yet so... going with yes? Feel free to amend anything you like though! Very Happy And yessss I would love to play his grandma muahhaha. How was your show??))

"I haven't though. I'd love the chance to serve you, and cook you company. It wouldn't really be true for you to think me selfless. I'm not. I guess I'm just weird in the things that make me happy." he shrugged, then shook his head. "There's always a cost. Just like walking by the shore and seeing the darkness below, knowing that you can light it up and warn another but in doing so--" he shook the nightmare off him and smiled again.

"I... have. I have met the Lady Water and I am thankful she allows me in her temple." For once he didn't elaborate, reticent to admit it. Edelweiss and Water surely had a special bond, and he felt strange to admit that he had even met her. It wasn't as though they regularly met up in any fashion, anyway. She had seem more curious and amused about him than anything else. "And no of course not. You have enough on your plate, I'm sorry if I misspoke. Its just that I don't know many of the acolytes are sure what they do either. Guess that includes me... but we serve, so in serving you I serve Her too, right?"

As the attention moved back towards the book he followed the line of his finger, marveling at its elegance.

"Well, first I thought that maybe it was a different sort of scripture, but the other symbols seem to be written similarly. Its only a few that aren't. This one means 'moon' and that one is a colour. I'm not sure why they would go together. But I'm wondering if the way they are in the cipher is because together they mean something altogether different like... an idiom, or slang?" he chewed on his lower lip. "What does the other part do anyway, were you able to figure it out?"

It was warmer when he leaned so close...

(hhm... reminds me that he hasn't used his psionics, has he? Wink Should ask gramma hahah))

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 am

((I thhhhiiink that's what happened too but it was too long ago for me to remember exactly xD and my show went great! I always forget how big the NY convention center is))

Arching an eyebrow Edelweiss intoned, "I guess I just don't have you figured out yet. It will take longer if I'm not using a third eye but I'm willing to wait it out." He put up a hand to smooth down his bangs again, making sure his peculiar markings weren't showing themselves without his permission.

It seemed completely normal for Water for let Bamboo into her temple, especially to serve under her, and particularly maybe even just to mess with Edelweiss, such was her nature. He titled his chin up at Bamboo's apology giving him an arrogant air.

"You really don't have to apologize. You're allowed to ask any questions of me that you like, of course. More importantly so if you're to work with me from now on." Edelweiss pinched his nose, his words taking on a monotone note that sounded rehearsed, "After all as an acolyte, you learn by serving, isn't that right? The same goes for me." Sometimes pain and learning goes hand and hand even if that level of tolerance is different for different servants.

Edelweiss had his eyes on the book, entirely focused on the page and the words. There was a moment of silence before he realized Bamboo was asking him about the cryptex. His eyes flicked up to meet his gaze. All in the note of a heartbeat he leaned back impetuously to grab the metal tube when he realized they were both leaning in much closer than he expected. Edelweiss rolled the tube in his hand, looking it over when he realized something new. He shook it once, and then again near his ear.

"It sounds like we're supposed to open this. I think there's something else inside."

((what? no he hasn't! Grandmaaaa, I gotta know!!!))
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:44 am

((Aaaah that would be so cool! Love the pic of you next to adorable creations... honestly though, I'd want to get everything.... hahah))

He was so close, and he could almost feel his breath on his skin. Maybe it was because it was cold in the evenings, though the fire should've taken care of that. No, there was something about Edelweiss that always did funny things to his stomach, to his chest.

"Learning by serving... I suppose you're right.  I wish I was a faster learner though, sometimes it feels like it just goes so slow..." and the things he wanted to ask he'd never dare. It was enough to know he liked the food he brought him, he liked his company and sometime he might even get to guard him as he slept. "I am glad if you don't have me figured out entirely, then. Maybe there's some depth to me."  

He liked that thought, and found his gaze trailing over the other as he reached for the cryptex. He was almost sad to call attention back to their task, as it made the oracle move away and refocus his attention.

"Wait. Are you sure its safe? I mean... " he frowned. "Do you wish for me to open it?"  he dreaded the thought that it might be booby trapped, or hurt the oracle in some way.

(( Very Happy ))

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:14 am

((haha thanks! I wish I could buy things at the convention, but it was more to bring buyers to us kinda deal. There are SO many cute products that are going to be for sale in the coming year, tho! :') ))

"Mmm," Edelweiss made a noise of agreement, "I've been here... a decade now, and it sometimes still goes a lot slower than I realize. Even for me." He gave Bamboo a cursory once-over. "I might have you figured out a little bit more after this day has passed at least. No need to get ahead of ourselves." He gave a short snicker at Bamboo's show of confidence. That also seemed few and far between and he was trying his hardest not to dissuade it. Well, maybe just poking at it a little bit won't cause any harm.

"Not safe?" Edelweiss's brow knit together as he frowned at the object, placing it slowly back on the table with a soft metallic clink. "I don't think it's unsafe. I think if I was in mortal danger." He paused briefly to amend his sentence, "... If we were in mortal danger I think that's something I would've seen." He tapped his finger on the end of the tube, his nail striking against its surface made a distinct tap, tap tap. "I think what he need is the cipher to turn the dial on the cryptex so it unlocks it. You can't have one without the other."

Edelweiss smiled as he slowly started to figure out the keys of the equation. "I think the symbols on the cipher. that look slightly different from the ones in the book are the ones that will spell out what we need to open the cryptex. We just need the rest of the letters to open it." He turned to Bamboo, his smile clearly boasting, just asking for praise.

((I'm gonna link to this if I can't explain it words properly haha I'm half awake xD https://www.amazon.com/Vinci-Code-Mini-Cryptex/dp/B00420B3R8 ))
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanhadrin Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:20 pm

(( I'd want to get them all sooooo Wink Oooh that looks really neat! ))

Progress. Something about the way he said it made him smile with the hope that there would be other days and other times, and bit by bit they might get to know one another better. As it was he was surprised that Edelweiss amended his sentence from 'I' to 'We', something he had never heard him do before.

At least in their adventure they were partners, and the slight change might indicate that he cared in some way about Bamboo's safety and well-being, not just his own. That thought gave him a pang that he subdued; the future was of their own making, and there was no point in dwelling in 'what ifs' when they had a concrete puzzle to solve together.

He watched as Edelweiss demonstrated, his face growing more intrigued as he listened in and his excitement grew.

"You're brilliant!!" He exclaimed, practically humming with excitement. "So that way they are safeguarded... you need both parts! Okay, okay, so let's see... what's the next letter?"

he flipped through the book, carefully looking up the symbols as he found them and transcribing them as best he could.

Sanhadrin

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:41 am

Edelweiss tried to hide his smile but he looked decidedly even more smug in doing so. Brilliant he had said. He certainly felt like a genius, but there was still so much work to be done and he couldn't read a lick of the ancient text. The best he could do was wait until Bamboo had written out more of the translation before he could again show off his brilliance.

Quietly, Edelweiss pulled out his bag and an extra sheet of paper from within. He had a moment to write out a referral that Bamboo could take to a priest tomorrow. It was in his own hand, they would have to accept Bamboo as a new retainer for the Seer. Blowing on the ink so it would dry, Edelweiss gently waved the page in the air before folding it in three and holding it out lazily between two fingers to Bamboo. "Hopefully this is enough. You can have them come talk to me if they devoutly would rather have you scrubbing toilets."

What Bamboo had translated so far caught his eye before the letter had even left Edelweiss' hand. "Wait, wait... This isn't spelling out food items or anything is it..." If this was actually a grocery list he would he'd eat his shoe.
amarilloo
amarilloo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum