Enter Our "Heroes"

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Enter Our "Heroes"

Post by amarilloo on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Elias stared at the ground, carefully avoiding eye contact. He was surprised that Tanner knew anything remotely philosophical or anything rooted in english at all. He didn’t seem like the well-read type.

“I think... it’s more of an Allegory of a Cave sort of deal. We wait.” He repeated.

He busied himself staring into his open palms on his lap, trying not to tug at them or fidget too much. He didn’t want to look as awkward as he felt.

“Look… I-I’m sorry you…” There really was no eloquent way of putting it, “Died...” Elias trailed off. He figured Tanner could at least put two and two together and insinuate that he wasn’t trying to be unceremonious, he had died himself, after all.

“If it’s any consolation, I’m here too.” Without tilting his chin up he made eye contact with Tanner through his hair which he quickly tucked behind both of his eyes quickly before looking away. 'Obviously, idiot.’ He chided himself.

((I have an idea for Tanner's "test" next round so you can ask questions in the meantime!))
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Tanner didn't know what Allegory of a Cave was. He looked away, indifferent.

"Yeah, I'm also sorry I died," Tanner said, without heat. It was a curious thing, to be dead. To be obliterated. His parents... but no, he was getting a second chance. This kid was still around, so he would be too. How? He decided it would be too hard to figure out Death's machinations and gave up trying to puzzle it out. The point was, he would still be alive. That's all he needed.

Looking back on his last sentence, he realized it could have been taken badly, like he was being insensitive. That always happened; he would say something and people took it in the worst way. Elias didn't seem to be taking it poorly, but, honestly, he didn't seem the type to expound on his emotional state. He seemed... very shy. Still, though. "Sorry. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Um." Tanner tried to come up with a question other than the obvious. He failed.

"How did you die?" he blurted out. Way to go, asshole. Oh well, we're here. "And what happens during this... thing... we're in?"

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 am

Elias felt his heart palpitate at Tanner's response.
'Right, bringing up the death of the guy moments after it happens is a great plan. Remind him how not alive he is. Probably going through the stages of grief starting with anger directed right at you. Smart.' His own churlish thoughts mixing with the hoarse growl of the wolf. Elias didn't use to be as hard on himself before he shared his body with the soul of another. He started to pick up some mannerisms of the wolf as well, which included, but was not limited to, being obnoxiously self-deprecating and a perfectionist.

Tanner snapped him out of his mental cynicism with his riposte. Elias's bright eyes flashed at Tanner as the white room started to cloud overhead. Dark storm clouds shifted and smoked their way across the ceiling, yet Elias's eyes shone bright in the coming darkness the same way any canine's would reflect light.

"I was born with a congenital heart disease." He said flatly, tugging at his shirt collar to show evidence of part of a long surgical scar that started along his sternum, "I died alone in a hospital bed while my family slept about a year ago." Taking another beat to add, not unsympathetically, "There are worse ways to go."

His last words were said in stereo as the shape of a large, grizzled wolf took form at his side, taking a few strides  out from behind Elias to sit beside him. The wolf had clearly died in a much worse way than Elias did. Where the faint scar on Elias wouldn't allow part of his eyebrow to grow back the wolf carried a much larger one making it so his eye wouldn't open completely. Patches of hair would no longer grow showing the wolf's age like rings on a tree and the battles he'd won and lost. His aura was a palette of violet and gold, making him a little hazy and hard to see to Tanner's untrained eye.

Almost answering Tanner's last question grass grew beneath them, curving and swaying outward until it connected in a clash of flowers between them and cultivated a board with pieces scattered across its squares.

"When I was here I was alone. The wolf chose me after I was tested. It was different for me, though, it wasn't like this, it was... I think..." Just realizing he was sitting squarely beside him, Elias slid his eyes over to the wolf questioningly before looking back at Tanner. "I think it wants us to play the game..."

Last edited by amarilloo on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Tanner started in fear at the wolf appearing next to Elias and watched it warily. It was dreamlike, muzzy, but fearsome, from what he could see. Does he know it's there? Tanner was about to say something when the grass suddenly grew out and he stepped back, trying to avoid it. He watched as the board was set up. "What game?" I'm not very good at games. "How did you play it if you were alone before?" Tanner walked over to one of the pieces and reached out to touch it. His eyes returned to the wolf, nervously. "Or, well, kind of alone. And what do wolves have to do with this?" A hundred questions were running through his head. He thought for a moment he was being rude, but no. This guy is the only one I can ask about any of this.

Last edited by kurookami on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 pm

The wolf laughed cruelly at Tanner's reluctance to be anywhere near him. Elias glanced at the wolf and back at Tanner. He wasn't sure if only he could hear the wolf or if it was only in the back of his mind like it usually was.

"He won't hurt you. More like he can't," I think, "He's using my body as a... like... a-a... a conduit to this plane." Elias shook his head and gestured with open hands at Tanner's questions. There's so many things even he's not completely sure he could answer fully, but he'd still try his best to answer them. "The wolf chose me because of how I fared in my test. It's Death's gift to us so we can be better prepared for what comes next. To protect ourselves and our pack." Elias repeated what he'd heard the wolf tell him plenty of times. The wolf nodding sagely added, "Does it matter what game, Boy? It's about patience." He snarled gruffly, baring his teeth in a dangerous smile, "Something you obviously lack."

"I-I didn't play a board game." Elias hastily interrupted the wolf, not trying to scare Tanner any more than he needed to be. "I was tested with survival." Elias wrung his hands remembering what he went through to get here. To end up here again.

"I belong to him only, Boy." The wolf tipped his nose at Elias and snapped at Tanner, "Wolves don't have to do with all of this, there's just me." Elias promptly opened the game's lid with a wooden clack and took in the wooden patchwork of squares and spaces that snaked across the face of the board. Two wooden dice sat impassively in the center, waiting to be picked up.

"I met other animals but only the wolf stood by me." Elias said meekly picking up the dice and holding them out to Tanner. "Maybe you'll meet one too."
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Tanner looked at the wolf and held its gaze, his brows knitted. He could feel that the wolf didn't like him, despite not hearing him say any words. The snarled face and snapping teeth were descriptive enough. He was afraid of the wolf, yes, but more than that, angry. Why does he have beef with me? I haven't done a damn thing. "Maybe I will," he replied to Elias. He grabbed the dice and tossed them hard onto the game board, never dropping eye contact with the wolf. "What did you survive, Elias? What did the wolf stand with you against?"

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:07 pm

At Tanner’s terse reply, Elias followed his gaze to the wolf. Using context, Elias figured out that Tanner couldn’t hear the wolf, but body language was more than enough to convey what the wolf was saying. Elias put his hand on the wolf’s snout and pushed it down so he broke eye contact with Tanner. The wolf sat back on his haunches, licked his nose and laid down, grumbling, on the grass next to Elias. He resembled a disheveled dog more than anything in that second if it weren’t for his piercing eyes that were an exact replica of Elias’, an ever present reminder that he was a wild animal.

The dice clacked like loose teeth across the tabletop, spilling out until it landed on a four and a three.

"Lucky seven.” Elias mumbled quietly as a crudely shaped human piece started to edge its way across the board seven spaces. He could feel his anxiety curl its tendrils around his gut, a cold hand squeezing at his stomach. Tanner’s piece stopped its trek on a square with a picture of a tree on it. Next to where they were sitting roots climbed out of the earth, followed by the trunk and finally the branches of a large tree. As leaves started to blossom across its branches crows started to land amongst the foliage, their shrieks getting louder as more joined their number.

Elias, his disquiet growing, turned his attention to Tanner and without making eye contact answered his question.

“I had to endure. It was a puzzle about time and repeating the same scenario again, and again, and again…” He clenched his fists, hidden on his lap, trying to hold back enough so that Tanner couldn’t hear his voice tremble. He lifted his eyes to look squarely at Tanner, “I couldn’t die, I was already dead. It was painful to relive. Cold, or hunger, or thirst each time it was different until time was reset and I’d have to feel the agony again.” The wolf set his head on Elias’ lap and licked his hand. Elias didn’t know how to explain it any better to Tanner. The details besides the lingering misery it left on the back of his memory was all that was left. “I had to get it perfect."

Setting his jaw he picked up the dice. The fear behind his eyes was hard to hide and was discernible next to his queasy pallor. He threw the dice down and watched as they bounced once with a decisive rattle as they landed. Snake eyes. The piece that looked like a carved wolf jumped two spaces and landed on a space that was taken up entirely by two simple curves in the shape of a heart. Elias felt his own heart beat once before fire felt like it was being injected into his cheat. He gripped a hand at the front of his shirt, doubling over in pain with a quiet groan.

'No, not a again.’ Perspiration beading on his forehead, he looked up at Tanner and jabbed a finger at the board.

“Make your move.” He urged with gritted teeth. The wolf glanced up at him and whined softly.
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:19 pm

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Tanner cried, but the question didn't carry heat. His voice was filled with fear. "Make my move-- Are you okay?" If he wants me to make the move, I'll make the move. "Where did these trees come from?"

He eyed the huge tree warily, looking for any strange creatures ready to pounce on him from around the trunk. The crows' cawing cacophony was rattling his nerves. They sounded like they were mocking him. They sounded like they were laughing at Elias clutching at his chest. Anger flared through Tanner, burning like fire. He snatched up the dice and threw them as quickly as he could at the board. They slammed into it and bounced off, eventually landing on a two and a one. Three.

He gritted his teeth. This was taking so long, they wouldn't get anywhere with these low rolls. And Elias looked like he was in pain.

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

“It’s making me… re-live the moment... of my... death.” Elias rasped, punctuating every word with labored breathing. A dark mar of a moment in his history rested across his memory. He crushed his eyes shut, trying to block out the flashback as a jolt of pain traveled up through his arm, the pressure on his chest making him grip at his shirt where sweat was starting to build a ring along his collar. He wasn’t sure if the sticky saturation he felt under his fingers was perspiration or death’s chambers playing tricks on his mind, opening up his old scar again to let blood start to seep through his fingers.

Blind to everything but the sound of dice scattering across the board he listened to the sound of them rolling forcefully until they came to a rattling halt. He dizzyingly heard Tanner’s muffled, urgent voice. “Where did … trees…”

He couldn’t focus. He couldn’t transform. He bristled, trying to grab onto the power of the wolf but he felt it slipping along with his concentration.

Of it’s own according the human piece moved to a square on the board with a smoky image of a crown that looked a bit different from the other squares. Less elegant and more crude like another hand had carved it into the wood over another symbol.

An exhale of breath audibly hissed into existence out from under the tree. A figure slinked out from behind the tree’s inky trunk, its shape twisting and converging and changing. At one moment, a king with a noble crown on its brow, the next a general with vaporous stars adorning their shoulders.

“Conquer.” The voice wheezed, its command clear despite its wavering shape. Every crow in the tree had their dark eyes trained on the figure, and in a snap had turned their attention to the field where Elias and Tanner were staked out. The birds quickly made a choice, a clear target, the path with the least resistance.

The tree had also made its quiet acquiescence. Its roots quietly but surely wrapping around Elias’s wrists, pulling him to the ground in a kneeling bow. A hiss escaped through his gritted teeth. Blood pooled from his chest onto the ground in front of him.

“Please…” Elias turned his eyes up to Tanner as best he could, head still bowed.

The birds left their perch, all in a single flurry of claws and wings.
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top