Enter Our "Heroes"

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Enter Our "Heroes"

Post by amarilloo on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:31 pm

It's almost nighttime. Too late to be out bike riding near the old quarry.
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Enter Our "Heroes"

Post by amarilloo on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:20 am

Elias wiped the sweat off his brow with the back of his fist, squinting the other eye as both sweat and the sun dripped into it. He was on patrol, alone, for the fifth time this week. It was Shay's turn multiple times over, but Elias found it hard to say no to anyone, even if the excuses started to overlap and seemed more outlandish with each turn. He sighed realizing he was that kind of wimp.

Before reaching the shade of a large oak tree, Elias saw the shadow of a hawk circle over head. A year ago he might've hoped it was Shay relieving him of his shift, but he knew better by now. It was the first week of classes and it was still too hot and humid for September to make anyone want to be outside at all. The air made it feel like Elias was wading through a swamp and it made him second guess the sound of bike tires wheeling over twigs and dried leaves in the distance. Elias' ears pricked. The rider was close to the quarry. Surely they weren't that stupid. He pushed his hair back out of his eyes, trying to get his footing over an enormous fallen tree when the sound of tires in the distance suddenly screeched and fell silent. He felt himself running towards the quarry with a sudden fearful jolt even before the sickening thud of bones breaking against earth reached his ears.

Elias stopped at the edge of the quarry, the thin tracks of tires veering off the edge. His curiosity was stronger than his desire not to feel sick. He peeked over the edge. A flash of red hair, the dissonant sound of tire spokes still spinning after everything else was still. His wolf ears could pick up the heartbeat of the boy if it was still beating. It was not. Elias knew what must come next, feeling that cold, queer aura behind him, Elias turned and saw the familiar grin plastered on the face of Death, as they parted through the trees.

"Hello, Mr. Lovell. It's been too long."

Last edited by amarilloo on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:13 pm

"Damn it!" Tanner griped, slapping away a mosquito. The evening was muggy and uncomfortable, probably too hot for this bike ride but it was worth it to get away from the dorm. The first week of school was dull, the RA was already up his ass about the bourbon on his desk, and the reading assignments were already too long. So fuck it. The quarry offered a good spot to play around on his bike without people getting in the way.

The bugs were getting bad, though, as the sun was setting. He pedaled up the trail, trying to ignore the ache in his legs. It had been a long couple hours of tricks and he finally felt comfortable with the new one he was working on, but damn, the heat! Sweat trickled down his back and he pedaled harder, gritting his teeth against the discomfort. The sun dipped below the edge of the quarry, plunging him in shadow. He was close to the top and looking forward to dinner.

A squirrel jetted out in front of his bike. "Shit!" He jolted the handlebars. The wheels skidded off some scree and he panic spiked through him as he felt the bike roll off the path down the steep slope. He fumbled to steer but the bike caught a rut and flipped.

He flew, and all he felt was terror before the slammed into the ground.

He ended up at the bottom of the quarry, his neck broken, as the mosquitoes buzzed around him.

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:55 pm

The sun was starting the set low behind the trees, the dawning of early twilight. Death thought they looked particularly cool tonight, not to boast their fashion choice and use of modern lingo. The half skull painting their face made their gender even more hard to determine to the untrained eye but Death also thought that, that was cool. Death also thought it was a splendid setting for something like this. The game of life on this one was freshly waning and it was truly a sight to behold. And to think it was the happenstance of a much more inconsequential life that tipped the scales on this one. Tiptoeing around the body, Death bent at the waist to look at the boy, clearing their throat.

"Pardon my boldness, but was the trick supposed to land like that? I'm not too well versed with bicycles, such a modern invention, and I have never quite seen one performed with a squirrel like that. A bold choice to add such a creature to the  show. I would say it was marvelous if not for the rather embarrassing landing. Was the jump supposed to be... cool?" Letting the world roll of the tongue, Death stretched out a hand to help the boy up, smiling widely.
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:10 pm

Who's this jagoff? Tanner slapped the offered hand away, embarrassed and angry. "I'm fine. Who the fuck are you?" He stood up and glanced at his bike, the front wheel spinning in the air. It seemed to be in decent working order, though.

Then he saw the foot. His foot. Attached to his leg. Attached to...

He thought he should feel sick. He felt mentally sick, but couldn't look away. He walked over to his body. The neck was twisted unnaturally, blood seeping out from a deep gash on his forehead, sightless eyes wide and surprised-looking. The tshirt he'd picked out this morning was dusted over and really, it seemed so pointless. Why bother picking out clothes when you do something so stupid as dying?

He looked up at the figure talking to him. "Are you... Death?"

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Death calmly let the boy angrily brush them off. They didn't hurry to straighten themselves either, they waited until the young lad had a second to take in the "scenery" before brushing the dust of their pants and composing themselves.

"Ahhh, right you are, exactly right on the first guess! Bingo!" Death shot the boy with finger guns and a wink. There was a moment of awkward silence while Death gave the boy a second to go through the stages of death. Judging by his character, he might be stuck on the anger step a little longer than some others.

"I suppose you may have a few questions? A lot of people do." Death pointedly looked up like they were trying to remember something, counting on their fingers. "What happens to me now? Am I going to heaven? Where's your pale horse? מה הוא אלוהים כמו ? وكنت جيد على الأرض?" Death trailed on for a while trying to be helpful until they realized that it was probably terrifying to most people when they started rambling in tongues.

"Maybe we should just get to the main event?" They tried instead.
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Tanner was still trying to process the whole being dead part and zoned out again when Death started speaking in foreign languages. It took a minute before he realized they had finished. Something about the silence made him snap a little. He rounded on Death.

"How could you let this happen? Aren't you a god or something? Isn't it your job to pick who dies? What did I do to end up dead already? I haven't even graduated from college!" He ran over to his body and knelt by it, trying to touch the still-warm skin, to fix his neck so it looked more normal, but his fingers slid through like air. The blood seeping from his head was soaking into the dusty ground, darkening the soil.

He stood up and glared at Death. "Put me back!" One, two steps, and he felt a need to cry coiling up his throat, fueled by anger. He stopped short on front of Death, fists clenched, a furious challenge in his eyes. "Put me back now!"

Last edited by kurookami on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:48 pm

Death let out an abashed laugh, "Oh ho, no, no, no! A god? No! You flatter me! I'm more like just a surveyor of time. I'm a mere cog in the great wheel. When the last grain falls in your particular hourglass, that just means your time is up." They hoped that could answer all of his questions in one go and calmly clasped their elegant hands together. They waited patiently as the boy came to terms, and again, didn't even flinch when he stormed towards them. A small smile was plastered on their face that stretched into a toothy grin, almost too wide for their small features.

"Back? Are you sure?" Death inclined their head mere inches away from the boy's face. The changing light of the rising moon made the skull-like paint on their face almost visible, an underlying part of their features that wasn't quite noticeable until now. Their smile stretched until it almost looked like they were baring their teeth, or was that a grin of pleasure?

"Tell me, Tanner, would you like to make a wager?"
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Tanner narrowed his eyes. A wager? With Death? That always seemed to fail in the movies, with Death ultimately winning and the hapless mortal regretting their decision.

But... He looked at his body again, broken and useless and empty. The wheel had stopped spinning, and the finality of the silence and stillness broke whatever resolve he had.

He looked at Death again, dully. "What kind of wager?"

Last edited by kurookami on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Death tried to keep their gestures businesslike but their grin was unwavering. They tilted their head in accord.

"What I want you to do," They said pointing to Tanner before pointing to themselves, "Is something for me." Death had given this speech countless of times before but it was always a delicate way of phrasing to get the dead to come to terms. Lucky for them, the ones that feel like they've been cheated of their long life are easy to snare.

"Work for me. While you're in my employ you're able to stretch you're time here on the mortal plane." Death lifted a finger before continuing, "However, you must be waiting for the catch, right? What kind of work will you be doing for me?" Death shimmered in the air for a moment before shimmering next to Tanner, wrapping a warm arm around the boy's shoulder.

"It will be like one big game of hide and seek really." They smiled jovially, almost sincerely if not for the outline of the painted around their eyes.

"Find the lost souls that are wandering out of sight and I'll add enough sand into your hourglass that it would be like you're living a full life to the very end. A hundred, withering, small, wisp-like souls from your hands to mine and I'll mend the crack in your timeline." Death tapped Tanner with the arm that was draped earnestly over him. "I don't make this offer to just anyone you know. I only say this to the ones I think have a strong enough heart, the special ones," they added before thumping themselves in the chest where I heart would be if one actually beat in their chest.
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Tanner let this process for a moment.

"Lost... souls?" He wasn't entirely sure what that meant. "How do you lose a soul? You just showed up when I died." He frowned. "Are there people who know how to escape from you?" Maybe I can learn from them.

Still, though, the offer was perfect. He'd get back to his life without any real detriment to himself, just "collecting" some "lost souls"... well, sucks to be them. They've had their time.

He shrugged his way out of Death's arm, taking a step away to look at them, to see if the face was hiding anything. Nothing. To be fair, if they wanted to hide something, I doubt I'd be able to tell. He looked back at his limp body, sprawled in the dirt. Amazing how useless it ended up being. "Fine. I accept the deal. Now tell me what to do."

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 am

“Let’s just say the others lacked a special sort of... charisma” They replied smacking their lips on the last syllable for emphasis. Death wasn’t the sort to exemplify revealing extensive amounts of information. When you’re existence has lasted over so many eons you start to lose the patience to divulge each and every mortal breath with answers to questions that have been asked so many countless times in so many different ways. Not to mention, stretching the truth was the best way to make a deal for any business wager. It wasn’t a lie. “No one can escape Death, my boy, I’m just a very busy individual whose talents are betters suited not playing a game of tag."

Upon Tanner’s reply their eyes went wide with the pleasure of sealing the deal. Ignoring Tanner’s rebuff of Death’s casual attempt at comforting him - a practiced art for someone lacking in human empathy, they clapped their hands twice.

“Excellent,” they said before their voice shifted with an ethereal tremor that sent chills through the quarry, “A deal has been struck.

“I’m more of a welcome party, you’ll be more of a watchdog.” There was a short pause before Death chuckled at a joke with a punchline that seemed like they weren’t going to share. “Speaking of dogs - ” Death raised their voice, not in a shout, it was eerily calm but amplified, like the whisper was filling the ears of everyone listening. “Elias. I know you’re watching, dear boy, why don’t you join your new compatriot down here?”

Trying to get into earshot, he was over halfway down the outer wall of the quarry’s sloping incline that was carved into the walls of the very rock itself Elias backed away from his hiding place with a jump. Death’s back was to him, but they knew he was peeping. Of course they did, it’s Death. Elias knew that but his curiosity got the better of him.

He looked over the edge again, taking care not to look at the broken, crooked body on the ground but slowly shifted his gaze to make eye contact with the incorporeal soul making a deal with Death. Gripping the strap of his pack, Elias took down the path at a fast pace. Better not make Death wait too long. He let air out of his nostrils with a huff at the irony of that thought.

Turning their attention back to Tanner, Death’s unwavering grin stuck to their face. “You didn’t think I would send you out into the fray alone, did you?” Death snapped their fingers remembering the last part of the pact, "Let me equip you with the necessary tools to aid you.”

((ugghhh controlling two characters at once is why I was avoiding this! LONG POST!))

Last edited by amarilloo on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Tanner turned to Elias. "There are more people who have made deals?" He squinted. This guy looked familiar. "You... you're in one of my classes. Who are you? How does this all work?" He took in Elias' tousled dark hair, sweat sticking it to his head. He was avoiding looking at Death - they were creepy and their interactions seemed... forced. Too inhuman.

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by amarilloo on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Slightly out of breath from the hike, Elias squinted at the shape of the person before him. He could make out features but it was like the soul was behind a screen or a gaussian filter. His human eyes didn't have the gift of second sight, but the wolf's were another story all together. The boy - no, Elias knew his name, although the boy didn't know him - Tanner’s aura was a swirl of shifting colors, flickers of deep red, a bright pee-yellow, a dark forest green, and wisps of seeping muddy gray that was snaking off of him like smoke, trying to cling to his corporeal body. The colors made his light look dirty. ’Anger. Fear. Insecurity. Guardedness.’ Elias thought to himself, recalling how to read the colors that aided in his survival.

Upon hearing Tanner address him, Elias’s eyes flicked from the body back to the source of the voice.
“O-oh, right. English.”And then after a short pause, "Elias.” He said curtly, a blush creeping up from his ears. Death was looking at him with a creeping grin that turned their mouth up at the corners. Elias was quick to change the subject and ignore Tanner’s other questions.

“You’re floating. You might want to try and ground yourself for this part.” He noted, gesturing at Tanner’s nebulous feet almost a foot off the ground.

“Elias has a point.” added Death, stretching out his hand for Tanner to take, and turning back to  Elias to offer his other hand. A door shot out of the ground effortlessly behind them, forming from the dirt and sand and rock. An old oak antique that had hinges of wrought iron and a door knob in the shape of an hourglass that was slowly turning until the sands began to fall. The door opened with a click and gave a heavy creak. Behind the door was darkness. Elias gingerly took Death’s hand. He’d never did this with a partner before, he wondered what his role would be.

“It’s time to chose a path,” Death motioned to Tanner before leading them in through the archway into the darkness.
amarilloo
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kurookami on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Tanner blinked, trying to see, but there was nothing to see. At least not at first. As they walked, the light began to change, almost imperceptibly, until it was bright, empty white. Tanner couldn't help but look at Elias as it got lighter. This guy... so he's died before, too? He didn't bother asking more questions - he'd figure it out as he went. Plus, neither of his companions seemed to be forthcoming with information.

"Here," Death said. "This is where you will choose. Or, well, be chosen. Who does the choosing? Ah, well, just do your best. I'm sure you'll be fine." They let go of Tanner and Elias and began to dissipate.

"Wait! What am I doing?" Tanner yelled. "How am I supposed to do anything, there's nothing here!"

Death laughed, and then was gone.

Tanner scowled at where they had just been, then looked at Elias. "So, what do we do?"

Elias slid his eyes over to him. "We wait."

"For what?"

"For nothing. This is the waiting part. We wait." Elias sat down on the white ground.

Tanner sat down across from him. "So... we just sit around? How does this prove anything?" He picked at his fingernails. "Is this a Waiting for Godot thing? Are you and I supposed to... I dunno, philosophize or something? Talk about waiting?"

kurookami
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top